Responsible Dog Ownership
Many residents of Capilano enjoy their family dog. That enjoyment is attached to responsibility not only to your dog, but to your neighbours as well. As such, being a good neighbour is important in our community. Please be respectful and responsible by:
- Keeping your dog on a leash and off private property.
- Not allowing your dog to “No. 1” on private property such as trees, hedges, bushes, flowers, etc.
- Making sure you “scoop”! Dog owner-ship and “scooping” go hand in hand. It’s not okay to leave it for your neighbor to deal with. Also, don’t leave your “scoop” in someone else’s garbage can or on top of someone’s garbage bags. Take it home and dispose of safely.
- Staying off of school grounds, sports fields and playgrounds in Capilano. This bylaw infraction can cost you $100.00 if you are caught by animal control.
- Minimizing barking. The City of Edmonton website indicates that “Barking is natural for dogs when they are bored, lonely or want to alert their owners of something. However, excessive barking can disturb and upset your neighbours. Make sure your dog is a good neighbour by addressing excessive barking through dog training, socializing, exercising and family interaction”.
Let’s keep Capilano a great community for all. For more information please refer to the City of Edmonton website (https://www.edmonton.ca/residential_neighbourhoods/pets_wildlife/owning-a-pet-in-edmonton.aspx).